The Ubuntu file browser does not show hidden files or folders by default, only the files that your user has access to.Here is the small tip how to view Hidden Files and Folders in Ubuntu File Browser
1. Go to the Main Menu, click on Places, and select Home Folder (any of the selections that will open up in the File Browser will work).
To show hidden files and folders under Windows XP or Windows Vista you have different ways to access this options.
To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Double-click on the My Documents icon.
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options as it shows in photo:
4. After the new window appears select the View tab