Fervens, free professional WordPress-theme. The theme has 3 columns of fixed width, widget ready. Fervents come in three versions content in the right, center, and left. Theme is designs by DesignDisease with Smashing Magazine collaborations.
Main features of the theme
- 3 columns of fixed width
- widget-ready — two sidebars (both sidebars are supporting widgets, but I recommend to use the smaler one.
- the theme is using 3 plugins; 2 of them are integrated into functions.php, so there is no need to install them. These plugins are Gravatar, Recent Comments and FlickrRSS. You can use the last one to present your Flickr images in a Flickr Photostream (see the demo).
Finally Chris from css-tricks.com my favorite CSS blog, has finish all the three screencast parts for a Custom WordPress Theme. You can view online or download for free, from the links below or from the Chris page. The Custom WordPress Theme that you see on the screenshot above is also free for download, is a good point to start, if you don’t like to do everything from the beginning.
Part One: Download, Install, "Reset" Theme
Direct Video Download (.mov)
Article & Discussion
WordPress gets pretty close to becoming a practical content management solution with this plugin. Create multiple custom write panels, add custom fields (images, drop downs, file upload, images, checkboxes, textareas, etc..), photos can be automatically resized, cropped, watermarked, drop shadowed, and modified in many other ways (this plugin comes with php_thumb).In addition to being able to upload files from your computers, you can also retrieve Images from 3rd party sites on the fly.
When you use the more tag in WordPress the post on the index page is "cutting-off" by this tag, leaving on top only what we write above this tag. At the post will be added a Read More link… We can also include the post title in this link and type custom messages also.
Open index.php file (99% of cases)
WordPress for iPhone just launched on the App Store. Download it now and get to blogging. More information about the project and how the users can contribute will be published soon.
Here is what you’ll get with this new iPhone application:
- Support for WP.com blogs and self-installed blogs version 2.5.1 and higher
- Embedded Safari for true previews of posts
- Full tag and category support
- Photo support for both camera pictures as well as library photos
- Support for multiple blogs
- Ability to password protect a post, save as a draft, or mark the post for later review
- Auto-recovery. This will recover posts which have been interrupted by phone calls
Again with WordPress and for this time with some nice plug-ins to manage our downloads in the blog.
The fist plug-in that I want to speak is Download Monitor by Mike Jolley. Download Monitor is a plugin for uploading and managing downloads, tracking download hits, and displaying links.
When we receive mail from our Wordpres blog, we see that the default mail is [email protected]! Times ago I searched on WordPress files and change the default mail, but every time that I update/upgrade the blog is necessary to make again the file changes. So is so boring. I will show you how to make custom mail sender, with one click 🙂